Granger, Texas' Best Kept Secret - by Clay CoppedgeGranger, Texas, began as a railroad community in the middle of the fertile blackland prairie country. Today it is the home of Granger Lake.
Located on State Highway 95 about twelve miles north of Taylor in northeastern Williamson County, Granger was originally named Pollack, when it was organized back in 1882. It soon became an important cotton marketing and shipping point and during its heyday boasted one of the largest cotton gins in America.
Primarily a Czech community, Granger had its own opera house, which hosted traveling shows. It also boasted one of the longest operating Czech newspapers in America.
by Clay Coppedge
Clay Coppedge is the state writer for Country World newspaper and a regular contributor to Texas Co-op Power magazine and a columnist for TexasEscapes.com. He worked for nine years at the Temple Daily Telegram and prior to that worked at newspapers in Georgetown, Round Rock, and in Tennessee and North Carolina. His stories have appeared in Field & Stream, Elysian Fields Quarterly, Gulf Coast Golfer, Texas Fisherman, Fly Fishing News, Views and Reviews, the Austin Chronicle and Texas Times.
122 total pages (Softcover) 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 format